“One must maintain a little bit of summer, even in the middle of winter.”
― Henry David Thoreau
I’ve never been excited about the end of summer. When the first leaf falls, I’d like to put it back on the tree. I mean really, what’s inspiring about shorter days and chilly temps?
In sunny defiance, I’ve made it a mission to stretch my favorite season by living the endless summer. Here are 10 ways to keep summer alive:
1. Set your Google address to someplace warm and sunny. It helps to know it’s summer somewhere. (Hint: The postal code for Sydney, Australia is 2020.)
2. Clean your surfboard and bring into the living room. Vintage boards make great wall art. For decorating ideas, Houzz has some surfy inspiration.
3. Even though it’s post-Labor Day, sport your white pants and shoes. Lucky Mag shows you how.
4. Wear flip flops in the house. *Flip flapping* down the hall is sure summer therapy.
5. Throw an Endless Summer Beach Party. Serve fish tacos and watermelon margaritas.
Entertainment? Loop Endless Summer on your TV, of course. It’s the classic surf travel movie and the title says it all.
For Sheryl Crow’s watermelon margaritas, check out her cookbook If It Makes You Healthy.
6. Hang a hammock in your house. For a quick how-to, tap here.
7. Rebuild your summer playlist. Play it loud. Play it often. To get started, Billboard offers a few sunny hits.
8. Plant something. Bulbs will pop color in the middle of winter, just when you need it most. For advice on how to do it, tap here.
9. Go to Pinterest, follow Las Olas, and we’ll help stretch summer.
10. Keep warm memories alive with random postcards. Postcardly Postcards will send postcards from your beachy photos to anyone, including you!
Got any stretch out summer ideas of your own? Share in the comments below.
See you in the waves,
Bev Sanders is founder and president of Las Olas Surf Safaris for Women and editor-in-chief of Jennifer’s Journey, online travel portal for women adventurers. She started surfing at 44 continuing her lifelong pursuit of introducing women to sports.